Saturday, May 22, 2010

Oven-Baked Fries (Potato or Taro)

(Click Picture to Enlarge)

Whenever I hear someone order a salad or diet soda along with their fries, big mac, or any high calorie fast food item, I die a bit on the inside. Psychologically, it makes you feel better, because you think, "Oh, I got my a side salad. That's healthy. Or I got diet soda, which is so much better than regular soda." But if you press the pause button and think rationally, the healthy side salad or diet soda doesn't cancel out the rest of your greasy meal. You are still eating overly processed goodies that lack nutrients.

Sadly, I am a victim of that sort of logic. When I have a craving for junk food, I try to satisfy it with a healthier alternative. This time I was dying for the crunch of crispy McDonald fries, but all we had at home were baby taros. I had the brilliant idea to oven-baked them, because it would be "healthier" and to eat a crapton of veggies with it. Oh, and a glass of milk.

(Click Picture to Enlarge)

I did learn one thing about baby taros. They aren't meant for baking, but I'm sure with the larger taro, it would work well for oven-baked fries. The problem with baby taros is that it becomes very mushy and soft after it's cooked compared to the larger variety that's still firm after it's cooked.

(Click Picture to Enlarge)

Oven-Baked Fries (Potato or Taro)
*this is a very flexible recipe.*

Ingredients
  • potatoes or big taro
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • olive oil

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
  2. Wash, peel, and cut the potatoes (taro) into thin strips.
  3. Toss the potatoes (taro) with salt, pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. You want to lightly coat the potato/taro in olive oil. DO NOT drown it.
  4. Spread one layer of potatoes/taro onto a baking sheet. I lined it with foil so it would be easy clean up. Make sure there's space between each piece.
  5. Bake in oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned and tender.
(Click Picture to Enlarge)

2 comments:

  1. your photos are getting better.

    ~<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahah Thank you. The quality often depends on what we have at home to make it look "prettier." lol

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails