Thursday, June 3, 2010

Oh em Gee, the best way to use up lemons! (Lemon Bar recipe)

Mom: "Piee, look at these lemons I bought!"
Me: "Hrmm?..."
Mom: "They were sooo cuuuute. Bright yellow and tiny with thin skins, and heavy too!"
Me: "Oh...they look nice...I guess I could use them to make something."
Mom: "NO! You may not."
Me: "Eeeh??" O.o
Mom: "You will make me FAT!"

Because I'm such an obedient daughter, I didn't touch the lemons for a week. No one else touched them either. I guess no one wanted lemonade. The lemons started wrinkling and the color began to dull. Since the lemons were deteriorating, I took it as a sign that the lemons needed to get used and abused. In other words, It's time to make Mom fat.

I decided to make lemon bars, because I adore the tangy, sweet, and lemony flavored filling on a nice shortbread crust. Coincidentally, I managed to use up all the lemons for this recipe too. yay. no leftovers!


I chose to halve the lemon filling, because in the pictures, it looked like there was a crapton of filling to crust ratio. I prefer a 1:1 ratio of crust to filling. I decided to do some research and found another recipe that I could use. I ended up combining 2 recipes to suit my taste, however, I borrowed more from Food Gal's recipe.


Lemon Bars
Adapted from Foodgal and Oishi Food

Ingredients
Crust
  • 3/4 cups of flour
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 6 TBSP of butter
  • Dash of salt

Filling
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups of sugar
  • 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP of lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour

Directions
For the Crust:
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
  2. Combine flour and sugar in a bowl and beat until mixed. Add butter until the size of small peas. Press into a 9 inch pie pan.
  3. Bake until crust is golden brown, approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Allow crust to cool to room temperature. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
For the filling:
  1. Whisk eggs and sugar until smooth. Add lemon and flour. Pour onto crust.
  2. Bake until filling sets, approximately 40 minutes. Allow the bars to cool to room temperature and store in fridge for a 1 hour before serving.
  3. Store in fridge for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails