Thursday, November 18, 2010

Maintaining Friendship and Caramelized Potatoes

One of my close friends from college moved to China about 1.5 years ago; it's been difficult trying to keep in touch. We emailed frequently in the beginning, but it eventually tapered off to an email response every couple days to weeks. I constantly reminded myself to reply to her emails, but something always came up so I told myself that I would do it the next day. Of course, I don't reply the next day and I continued to procrastinate. By the time I finally wrote a response, I had forgotten what I wanted to tell her.

About a month ago, I tried a new method of keeping in touch with her. I started sending her a pic-a-day through my mobile phone to her email. A picture is simple and doesn't require much writing and if i wanted to share some thoughts with her, I could include it in the picture email. I've been enjoying it so far, because it doesn't mentally exhaust me and I can keep up with it. It motivates me to appreciate the little things in life, because I have to find something to show her. It lets her know that I care and miss her and how much I want to spend an afternoon or night with her, chatting and being silly. I can't wait to save up money and fly out there to see her in the future.

P.S. My daily photos were such a hit that I reached my monthly text message quota two weeks ago. Oops.I can start sending her pictures again on Saturday when my plan resets. Whoo~



This recipe was inspired by a Korean banchan I had awhile back with my family. I made it for JSB and she enjoyed it.

Oven Baked Caramelized Potatoes

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups of red potatoes
  • 1 TBSP (or more) canola oil
  • 2 TBSP (or more) sugar
  • sea salt

Directions
  1. Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks.
  2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  3. Boil potatoes for 8 to 12 minutes until just barely cooked. (Knife has difficulty going through potato)
  4. Dry potatoes with paper towel and drizzle with olive oil until lightly coated. Line baking sheet with foil/parchment paper. Spread potatoes on sheet with space in between the potatoes.
  5. Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
  6. When potatoes are finished, keep them in the oven so they stay hot. Adjust temperature to 300°F.
  7. In a pan, coat bottom of pan with sugar. Add more sugar if you like foods more sweet.
  8. Wait for sugar to melt and caramelize, then add the potatoes.
  9. Toss the potatoes to coat it in the sugar and sprinkle it with sea salt. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails