Saturday, February 12, 2011

Gifts


I remember when I first started to dapple in the art of baking and making yummy goodies. I was deathly afraid of letting anyway else try my creations except for my family and boyfriend. I didn't mind letting my family, because they're family...I don't have a reputation to keep. Besides, my grandma thinks everything I make is the greatest pastry or sweets ever. I didn't mind letting my boyfriend have a taste, because he had to love me even if what I made sucked. Beyond those selected few, I simply wasn't confident enough to let others try. Eventually, I worked up the courage to giving goodies to my roommates. Along the way, my sister passed my om nom noms onto her friends. Without realizing it, I grew confident and I began to thrive on the pleasure that others felt from eating my food or if they disliked it, I felt a strong need to create a treat that was better than the last. Even if someone enjoyed what I made, I still wanted to improve on it and make it better.


I didn't expect to grow this cocky, but I have reached a point where I'm starting to give baked goods as simple gifts. At the preschool I work, parents were generous and gave me gifts during Christmas. I felt bad not having anything to give them in return to show my appreciation. I decided on making them honey caramels and oatmeal raisin cookies. The parents that spoke to me about it asked for recipes! Boy, did that make me feel good! Whooo.

Honey Caramels
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks

Ingredients
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup honey

Directions
  1. Line a 9 by 9 inch pan with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium, thick-bottomed saucepan heat the cream and salt until tiny bubbles start forming where the milk touches the pan - just before a simmer. Stir in the honey. Bring the mixture to a boil. Now reduce the heat to an active simmer and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about 15-20 minutes minutes or until the mixture reaches about 260 to 265°F degrees. Pour caramel in container and allow it to cool overnight.
  3. The next day, cut caramels into pieces and wrap with parchment paper. Remember to oil your cutting utensil to prevent sticking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails