Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sourdough French Toast

I used to love french toast when I was younger. The egg soaked bread pan-fried to perfection and then drenched in butter and syrup. My gawd. Heaven, I tell ya. Then something dreadful occurred. I grew up. French toast ordered at a restaurant was too greasy, too mushy, and way too sweet for my palette. (Side note: why does that always happen? I used to love Kit-Kat, 100 Grand, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, but as an adult, it's BAD candy-- too sweet, too junky.)

Today, I created the perfect french toast for an adult palette. A french toast that holds it shape, a bit of sourness to cut the sweetness, honey in the egg mixture, and topped with powdered sugar for the right amount of sweetness. My favorite part about my version is the chewy crust from the French bread.



Sourdough French Toast


Ingredients
  • 2 to 3 day old sourdough French bread (I used Boudins, 7 inch sandwich roll)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 TBSP milk
  • 1 TBSP Honey
  • Butter
  • Powdered Sugar
**The batter is enough for half a sandwich roll**

Directions
  1. Slice sourdough into thick 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices.
  2. Whisk egg and milk together until combined. Tiny pieces of egg whites floating around is okay.
  3. Microwave honey for 20 secs and add to egg/milk mixture. Mix honey until dissolved.
  4. Have the batter in a shallow dish and dip slices in it. Approximately 5 secs on each side.
  5. Heat a non-stick pan. Add butter. To test if the pan is ready, add a bit of batter and see if it sizzles.
  6. Gently place slices in pan and allow it to sit undisturbed for 30 secs. Check and see if it's browned. If it isn't, let it sit for 10 more secs and check again. If it's browned, flip it over on the other side and allow it to cook for 30 secs. Check to see if it's browned. If not, allow it to cook longer and check again.
  7. Garnish French Toast with raspberries and powdered sugar.
*I hate wasting so I made scrambled eggs with the rest of the batter.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails