Sunday, July 10, 2011

A rough weekend = A trip to the Farmer's Market [Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp]

I was having a rough weekend so I decided to head out to the farmer's market at 9 a.m. to calm my mind. Navigating through the narrow pathways between the stalls, I craned my neck around passerbays to see the fresh produce. I noticed the usual summer fare: strawberries, spring greens, tomatoes, and cherries. As I was about to head out after purchasing 2 pounds of strawberries, I noticed rhubarb hiding at a small booth and my fate was sealed. I would be would be making rhubarb and strawberry crisp in a few hours.

I have never tried or touched rhubarb before, but I was surprised by how closely it resembled celery in shape and texture. The color is gorgeous as well.


Rhubarb and Strawberry Crisp
adapted from Joy of Baking's Strawberry Rhubarb Tarts and Apple Crisp

Ingredients

Filling
1 lb rhubarb, cut into 1 inches pieces
1 lb strawberries, cut into 1 inches pieces
1/2 cup (or less depending how sweet your strawberries are) sugar
1 TBSP (10g) cornstarch

Topping
70g flour
50g white sugar
55g brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
6 TBSP unsalted butter, cut into pieces
55g old-fashioned rolled oats

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
  2. Mix rhubarb, strawberries, and sugar in a large bowl and let it macerate for 30 minutes. Add flour and mix thoroughly.
  3. In the meantime, combine flour, white and brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, butter, and oats in a bowl. With clean hands, pinch the mixture together until crumbly in texture. 
  4. In a 8x8 dish, pour the filling in and evenly spread the topping all over the surface. 
  5. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Allow 30 minutes for the crisp to cool down before serving. I actually prefer the crisp the next day after it has been refrigerated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails