Wednesday, October 26, 2011

3 Types of Cookies From ONE Batch of Cookie Dough. Whooo! [Chocolate Snaps]

Chocolate Snaps

I went down to Anaheim this past weekend for Blizzcon 2011 and I nerded it out! LOVED D3 and I cannot wait for it to come out. It's going to be AMAZING!! Hello to all the future monks and demonhunters!

After my last post on Oct. 15, I realized that I was finally out of photos to upload. Wow. I didn't anticipate that happening. Since I've been busy with interviews and vacations this past month, I have been missing my kitchen time. Maybe that's why I lost 2 pounds this month? Today, I decided that I would finally bake chocolate snaps! On my way to the store to purchase butter, my brain started firing off different combinations that I could make with the dough. I ended up with chocolate, strawberry, and peppermint.

The recipe worked great for me! The cookies came out light and crispy. The plain chocolate was good, but the peppermint was a winner for me. It only beat strawberry because...well, peppermint > strawberry.

FYI: The photos are different from my usual style, because I wanted to experiment. Let me know what you think. =)

Strawberry Chocolate

Peppermint Snaps

Chocolate Snap Cookies
adapted from In Jennie's Kitchen

Makes 66 cookies

Note: I understand that my measurements are a mix of grams and cup/spoons, which is confusing. I should explain that those are the measurements I used. As we all know, weight and cup/spoons can vastly differ even if the recipe claims the amount is similar. For example, the original recipe called for 1g or 1/8 tsp of salt, but when I weighed the amount of salt, it was insane so I decided to use 1/8 tsp instead. I also decreased the amount of sugar used in the original, because I don't like my cookies too sweet and the amount of brown sugar was too much for me. So I opted for 4 TBSP brown sugar instead of the original 62g, which fits MY tastebuds. The adjustments works for my palette and I'm sure the original is great as well. Please visit In Jennie's Kitchen for the original recipe.

Ingredients
129g all-purpose flour
6g cocoa powder
3g baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
86g bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (4 oz) butter, softened
50g sugar
4 TBSP brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together.
  3. Melt chocolate chips in 30 to 40 second intervals in the microwave. Set aside to cool slightly.
  4. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla extract. Beat for 1 minute until light and fluffy. Pour melted chocolate and beat for 1 minute, until well-mixed.
  5. Add flour mixture. Mix until flour is just incorporated. Beat on high for 30 seconds. The dough resembles thick cake batter.
  6. Spoon coined sized cookies onto cookie sheet, spaced 1 inch apart. I used a small spoon that scooped between 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of dough.
  7. Bake for 11 to 14 minutes.

Other flavor combinations
Strawberry Chocolate
1/2 cup of dough
4 TBSP freeze dried strawberries, crushed

Mix dough and crushed strawberries together in a separate bowl. Spoon onto cookies sheet and top each cookie with a bit of strawberry crumbs.

Peppermint Chocolate
1/2 cup of dough
1/4 tsp peppermint extract

Mix together and spoon onto cookie sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails