Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dessert for Two #4 - [Caramel Chocolate Pudding]

How did the sugar challenge go?  I lasted until May 15th before I consumed sugar. The thing was that I didn't even want it. I ate it, because I paid for it (it came with my  meal) and the frugal side of me didn't want to waste it. I also cheated several times after that. After my challenge, I felt less inclined to binge on sugar. When I did have a cocktail to celebrate, I found it too sweet and didn't even want to finish it. Also, when I do have cravings, I will take a bit or two and I am satisfied.

During my challenge, I cooked plenty of savory dishes, but I never photographed any of it, because I found a new love that consumed my time. Photography wasn't a priority anymore, but I will definitely get back into the groove of things. The new love? Diablo 3. Well, time to get back to my lover...Oh & Enjoy the recipe!


Caramel Chocolate Pudding
adapted from BraveTart

Note: I originally made her chocolate pudding to bring back childhood memories. It did and I was smiling like the Chersire cat when I was devouring the pudding. The only issue was that I found it a tad too sweet. (I suppose that's a sign that my palate matured?) I decided that there was a way to fancy up the pudding and I present to you Caramel Chocolate Pudding. It's doesn't taste sickeningly sweet, because of the unsweetened cocoa and the bitterness from caramel. Also 4g of powdered gelatin works as well. You'll have a thicker pudding. This recipe works with skim milk, but it certainly tastes better with 2% or whole milk.

Servings: 2

Ingredients
3g powdered gelatin (knox)
35g 2% or whole milk
45g sugar
13g cocoa powder
large pinch of salt
170g 2% or whole milk
1 TBSP butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 35g milk. Make sure the bowl is heat proof.
  2. Heat a pot with cocoa, salt, and milk over medium heat. Whisk constantly until milk bubbles around the edges and there are no more lumps of cocoa. Turn off heat and set aside with the lid on.
  3. In a skillet, sprinkle sugar evenly on the surface over medium heat. When the sugar liquefies, keep a close on the color. Swirl the pan if the sugar isn't melting evenly. When the color reaches a dark amber, turn off heat and add butter. Stir with a whisk and watch for splattering butter.
  4. When the caramel and butter is mixed together, drizzle in warmed cocoa/milk mixture while whisking. Turn heat to medium low. Constantly whisk until the milk bubbles form around the edges.
  5. Pour over the bloomed gelatin and whisk to combine. **When pouring the mixture, there may be a film of cocoa milk mixture that sticks to the skillet. Don't scrape into the gelatin or else lumps will develop in the final product.**
  6. Stir in vanilla.
  7. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Remove and stir. Then cover the surface with plastic wrap. Allow it to set for at least 4 hours.
  8. Prior to serving, whip with mixer (or by hand if you're strong!) until silky smooth. It'll take 2 minutes with a mixer and longer by hand. **You'll have to whip leftovers again, because it will solidify.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails