Sunday, January 13, 2013

Dessert for Two #5 - [Black Sesame Dessert/Paste (芝麻糊)]

I hate this time of the year. The cold temperatures, dry skin, chapped lips, and the need to wear many layers to stay warm. The funny part? It doesn't even snow here. Yes, San Franciscans are spoiled by the weather. We complain when it's the low 40s or when it's the high 70s. If the world suddenly ended, we would die first because of our inability to handle temperature changes.

Oh, and I'm sick again with a cough. The kids I work with need to stop being germ factories. Luckily when I get sick, I don't experience severe symptoms unlike my fiance. He managed to catch my bug and he had the chills, sweats, fever, swollen gums, and sore limbs. He was out for a good 30 hours before he woke up again. I made him chicken soup to compensate...


While I was shivering away at my desk working on lesson plans for the week, I had a sudden craving for a warm dessert, specifically black sesame paste. Ever since my mom purchased a package of black sesame powder, I've been itching to use it in a dessert.


Black Sesame Dessert/Paste (芝麻糊)
loosely adapted from taozheng

Serves 2

Note: Hsin Tung Yang is the brand of black sesame powder I use. You can also grind your own powder by lightly toasting black sesame over low heat until fragrant and then using a mortar/pestle to grind until it's a fine powder and the natural oil appears. I prefer my desserts less sweet, but feel free to increase the sugar up to 2 Tablespoons.

Ingredients
36g (6 TBSP) black sesame powder
10g (2 TBSP) glutinous rice flour
16g (1 heaping TBSP) white granulated sugar
220g (1 cup) water

Directions
  1. If using prepackaged sesame powder, give it a quick run through the mortar and pestle until the natural oils are secreted. This will make the dessert more aromatic.
  2. Mix all the ingredients in a small pot.
  3. Turn the heat on medium low and stir constantly to prevent burning. When the mixture thickens and bubbles, it's finished. It will take approximately 5 minutes or less. If the sesame paste is too thick, add a couple tablespoons of water and continue to stir until the paste is hot again. 
  4. Spoon into two bowls and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails