Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting
modified from The Chew (Loren Avellirio)
Makes 12 standard cupcakes
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
140g (3/4 cup) white granulated sugar
145g (1/2 cup) unsweetened applesauce
95g (1/2 cup) canola oil
125g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
2g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
3g (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder
1g (1/4 tsp) salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
205g (1 1/2 cups) grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a bowl, mix sugar, applesauce, oil, and egg.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg together. Slowly incorporate into wet mixture. When combined, fold in carrots.
- Fill cupcake liners almost to the top. Bake for 24 to 27 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Rotate pan halfway through baking.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to the wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are completely cooled, the cupcakes are ready to be frosted. Use about 1 tablespoon of frosting per cupcake. The cupcakes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 heaping cup confectioner's sugar
4 oz (114g) cream cheese, softened
2 oz (55g) butter, softened
1 tsp ground ginger
Cream together lemon juice, sugar, cream cheese, butter, and ground ginger until light and fluffy.